Apple released their new wireless earbuds mid December 2016. Samsung, being Apple’s leading competitor, then released an updated version of their wireless earbuds, the IconX version 2’s. These wireless earbuds are preferred by many runners and jogger as, unlike AirPods, they have different sized gels that fit into almost any ear. They also come in pink, black or grey.
- Storage capacity: 3.4GB for up to 1,000 songs
- Sensors: Accelerometer and proximity
- Mics: Two mics per earbud with ambient sound option
- Water resistance: IP67
- Battery life: 7 hours of stand alone music playback or up to 5 hours of Bluetooth streaming from your watch or phone.
- Battery Complicity: 82 mAh for each earbud & the battery case has a 340 mAh battery.
- Wireless connectivity: Bluetooth 4.2
- Earbud dimensions: 21.8 x 18.9 x 22.8 mm and 8 grams
What’s in the package?
- Two earbuds, left and right
- A charging case with integrated battery and USB Type-C port
- USB Type-C cable
- USB Type-C to USB Type-A dongle
- Small/medium/large silicone earbud tips and wings
When closed, there are indicator lights on the front of the case to let you know if it’s charging or not and there is a lid release button between them. At the back you will find a USB Type-C port centred on the case for charging. On the right of that is the Bluetooth pairing button that will be used to setup connections with Android or iOS devices. Around the outside of the earbuds are touch sensitive sensors. With a variety of taps, swipes, and other actions to carry out various functions. For example, a single tap plays or pauses a track, a double tap plays the next track or answers/ends an active call, a triple tap action plays the previous track, a touch and hold will launch the menu readout where you can choose to start a workout right from the headset, and swipes up or down control the volume.
Price and Competition:
The 2018 Samsung Gear IconX goes for $134.99 CAD while Apple’s AirPods go for $219.00 CAD.
Other competing truly wireless earbuds include the Bragi Dash Pro that has 4GB of storage and automatic activity trackings. These are priced at a rather high $329. The Jabra Elite Sport headset is priced at $249.99 and can also be found for sale down to $199.99 at times.